Sometimes something as simple as getting gas can be somewhat of a game changer for our financial situation. You will need two things for this to work.
- Shell Fuel Rewards Card
- Stash Investment Account
Benefit #1 – Save
As a Shell Fuel rewards member you save money on each gallon of gas that you buy. In my area Shell is most often the cheapest choice for gas, and not only do I save $0.05 – $0.25 per gallon on gas, I also earn rewards and discounts for car washes at Shell stations. Check in your area to see what benefits you get with your rewards card.
- Earn gas rewards when you wash your car.
- Earn gas rewards when you buy promoted products.
- Gas rewards stack for bigger per gallon discounts.
Benefit #2 – Invest
As a Stash Account holder, you gain stock back rewards when you use your Stash debit card to pay for Shell gas. Stash only gives 0.125% – 5% depending on the current bonus, but over time it will add up because getting gas is something that we do regularly.
- This removes 100% of the excuses not to invest.
- It doesn’t cost anything extra to start investing.
Benefit #3 – Grow
Shell currently pays a dividend of 6.30% to its shareholders. Just by continuing to get your gas from Shell, you’ll start generating a small amount of passive income that you can reinvest in more stock as it adds up.
- Receiving a dividend results in even deeper gas discounts long term.
- Reinvesting your dividends allows you to benefit from compound interest.
To understand how all of this works together, we’re going to look at a hypothetical scenario based on the Fuel Rewards program. These numbers are for educational purposes only and do not reflect all scenarios. Check the current Fuel Rewards programs for current promotions.
- If I to to a Shell station to get my car washed, I’d earn a $0.25 per gallon discount, which stacks with my $0.05 per gallon discount for being a Fuel Rewards member. I’d also earn stock back at the same time.
- If gas is at $3.00 per gallon, it brings my price down to $2.70 per gallon. If I put 20 gallons of gas in my car, I save $6.00 on gas while earning stock back at the same time.
- If I wash my car once a week and put 20 gallons of gas in it per week, it would save me $312 per year and I’d earn stock back at the same time.
- If over time I accumulate $100 in Shell stock back rewards from Stash, my yearly dividend would be $6.30.
- If Shell stock experiences the average 7% increase in value, my stock would be worth $107 at the end of a year.
- The stock doesn’t cost anything extra to obtain.
- Total savings equals $312.00 over the course of a year.
- Stock value + dividends equals $113.30.
- This stock can be passed on to children and grandchildren.